24 March 2016

INTERVIEW with VARATHRON





VARATHRON are one of the oldest Black Metal bands and therefore a Cult band and one of the remaining few, true to its dar essence.  Where others have failed, they have earned the respect and deserved recognition of their work, faithful and loyal to its roots. “The Confessional Of The Black Penitents” released last year, is another jewel in its black crown, and because of that and all mentioned above, here  are the words of  Stefan Necroabyssious…


Hi Stefan, greetings to you and all in Varathron! You seem to be tireless warriors, as you added a new release to your dark and extensive discography last year. Is “The Confessional of the Black Penitents” a continuation of the work performed on “Untrodden Corridors of Hades”?
Yes, the new opus of Varathron is total ready to spreading the absolute darkness into the filthy souls!
Give us your words about the meaning of the title, the beautiful artwork by Carlos Schwabe and the whole concept of the EP.
Our new mini album called “The Confessional Of The Black Penitents”, is the confessional of the dark souls who their “doubt” –somewhere in their life- for the dominance of the mighty one! Hail Lucifer!  The mini album contains three new tracks and four live tracks from our last shows around. Of course the whole “packet” closed with the amazing work of Carlos Schwabe and he’s awesome painting

“Sinister Recollection” was launched as advance song and I really dig the track, it is dark and atmospheric, with diverse melodies and vocals, clean guitars… tell us about the songwriting of this song and about the lyrics.
That track has so great guitars and melodies. Sotiris, our guitarist, he wrote that song. He inspired from our traditional Greek music and the lyrics written by me.
The oppener title track and "Utter Blackness" are also new songs, please describe them in a little more detail?
The first song is a pure ritual and we open our shows with that. It’s a pure ritual for the darkness.  The third song “Utter Blackness”, it’s a typical Varathron song, an ode for him!
Did yoy added effecta to the production to the songs recorded live  or did you keep the sound “pure”? Did you feel any special vibe while performing on that gig?
The live songs are pure, because we recorded that show with a lot of details [good amplifiers, two consoles and a professional sound engineer] and the results was very good. I think the whole atmosphere of our show “transfer” into the mini album.
I saw you in many cool photos of your shows reading a book, what book is it? What words do you read to the audience??
The book is a book of evocations and ceremonies. so, I read the mega-kabalistic invocation of Solomon!
Black Vomit Records reissued last year the 1992 split with Necromantia “The Black Arts/The Everlasting Sins”, what memories brings to your mind to see one of the greatest releases from the Greek scene on vinyl again? [I would even say it is one of the best splits releases ever, alongside Emperor/Enslaved split]
Yes, I agree with you, that split album is one of the best ever!!! One of the best split albums on the metal scene ever!!! I feel great and the memories coming on my mind. Glorious times with so many troubles around but with so great passion for creation and metal!!! The evil music “rolling” into our blood and we want to make releases like pure hymns to dark lord. That situation is still remains on my side. I’m still “mad” and “thirsty” for music-creation like the old days!
Do you have memories about how was the split received in the underground, the reviews and the comments from the fans? Did you start receiving lots of letters and interviews in your mail box?
I recorded it with my brother magus of Necromantia, when I was on obligatory army service. My friend Kostas of black power records released on vinyl and the reception from underground fans was so amazing. I received so many letters, a lot of interviews and reviews. it was something awesome, because the two great bands of the Greek unholy trinity, released something together. That was perfect and the whole world worships that. we received a pure respect from around the world. I salute all my brothers for that!
What did you think when you listened to Necromantia´s music for the first time?
I love the sound of Necromantia. it’s a pure bizarre evil sound who sticks in your mind. I still have the same opinion, from the first moments who I heard the songs of the first demo in the place of George-magus.  Great!!!!!! I salute them!!!
How things were in the Greek Black Metal scene when Varathron were formed? How was the cooperation and contact with other bands of that era such as Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Thou Art Lord, Zemial…?
the first band who played black metal in Greece was Varathron in 1988! After that, the rest bands of the unholy trinity was Rotting Christ and Necromantia. The other bands comes later. The Greek black metal scene starts to grow-up year by year. So many new bands who released a great stuff and they continue our glorious scene.
Is the same situation nowadays in the Greek scene as in the early 90s? Are you still in touch with the bands?
No is not the same situation. I’m in touch with same bands especially with the old bands who they reborn!
Did you guys use to compare your scene with other scenes such as the Norwegian or Swedish? Did you care about “the whole black metal movement”? Did you get in touch with bands from abroad?
Our scene has a unique style and is one of the best around. Of course I was –and I’m still- in touch with so many great bands around the world. in these days my p.o.box was full of letters. That feeling is so special and – I think- it’s so difficult to understand if you don’t live. it’s a big part of my life, man! it’s my moments who I always remember until my death.
His Majesty at the Swamp”, is considered as a cult album and one of the best among the “So called” second wave of black metal, how do you see that album nowadays and what you remember from the rehearsals previous to the recording and the recording itself, of that legendary album? What inspired you at the time of naming the album and choosing the cover artwork?
I´ll start from the last, me and mutilator we choose the title for that album and we found the painting for cover! Yes, it’s one of the best cult albums ever of the second wave of black metal. I remember the recordings because we were working very hard for that. I was left my work in my hometown and I was travel to Athens. I lived two months in Athens for the rehearsals and the recordings. Me and Jim Necroslaughter we worked on that album so hard in he’s place. We didn’t have any money for the studio and we tried to make all our rehearsals on Jim’s place. Hard times but the result was so amazing and I feel so proud for that, after so many years!!!
What were your musical and lyrical influences back then? Do these influences have changed over time?
I think my lyrical influences; inspiration from ancient religions, myths and legends, wars and cries, nightmares and astral trips, memories beyond the grave and anything evil and bizarre around the planet.  The musical influences was Bathory, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, venom, the first Sarcofago and Morbid Angel. About my lyrical influences I’m still remains on the same topics. About the musical influences, we still worship some of our first influences and we add some other of the classic metal scene, like Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate.
How would you describe the meaning and the essence of Varathron?                          
Varathron is a pure ritual in the name of darkness. Sometimes, I feel it like a travel of a soul beyond the knowing dimensions, faraway on the strange galaxies when the darkness is the total dominion!
Since the first album the band suffered a lot of lineup changes, perseverance and strength must be two important words in your life as a musician, as Varathron still stands strong! How do you manage to find musicians who fit into the philosophy of the band?
Well, the two bad situations on Varathron’s history was the line-up changes and the label changes! If one of these was never exist, I think varathron had a different fortune in our music history. A lot of times in the history of my band i stay alone and –like a phoenix- I raised my band from the ashes. I’m looking for serious members always. I make so many personal sacrifices for my band and I’m still continue. Today the line-up of Varathron is total strong and we continue …immortal!!!
How do you perceive the attitude of the new Greek bands towards this “legacy” or trademark known as the "Greek black metal sound"?
I think a lot of new Greek metal bands has continued the Greek black metal sound, that legacy from the glorious past! The new bands and the old bands who they continue- and some other who re-born again- are the “soldiers” of that scene who never die!
Besides “Untrodden…  you also released a split with Den Skaldete in 2014, "Old Demons Rise", and in 2012 you shared release with Black Altar and Thornspawn on the split “Emissaries of the Darkened Call – Three nails in the Coffin of Humaniy”. What´s the best thing about releasing splits EPs?
The releases of these ep’s was the old promises who I give. I talk with my brother of Thornspawn two years before for that 3-way album. it was a four –way album but the other band had some problems and they never record something for that album. In other case, the ep with den Saakaltde, it was release in the name of our friendship between me and my brother Michael-Sykelig. Besides I like to release split stuff between our full releases. I feel the underground spirit and it’s something like a supports to the bands each other! like the old days who everything was pure and the whole bands are a big family! it’s a romantic feeling brother!
Regarding “Emissaries”, you covered Black Sabbath´s, “Ancient warrior”. I must say I was surprised but I really like this cover version [I like the “Eternal Idol” and “Headless Cross” albums]. What were the feedbacks for choosing this song, as many people thinks that the only "good" Black Sabbath is with Ozzy or Dio on vocals and don´t care much about the rest.
I start to hear Black Sabbath in 1978! I love the band, the sound who kills my ears and the whole discography, because you can find very interesting songs on any of that. When I start to recorded the tracks for the 3-way, we had two new tracks total ready-[because the label needs only two songs for the four-way]. The four-way coming a three-way –because the forth band left the idea and the guys ask me for a new track of Varathron. So, they need it so quickly and I think to make a cover-song. I believe the album “Eternal Idol” is so amazing and so atmospheric and the lyrics of “Ancient Warrior” is so similar on Varathron’s style. So, we start working on that and the result was so awesome! I like it very much!
Who are some of your Fave bands? Old good veterans and newcomers?
My fave bands like black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, AC/DC, Blue Cheer, Black Widow, Bathory, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Death, Venom, Emperor, Morbid Angel, Sarcofago, Asphyx, Nihilist, Samael, Mortuary Drape, Vital Remains, Derketa, Blasphemy, Carnage, Profanatica, Nocturnus, Mercyful Fate, Dissection, Dismember, Slayer, Death Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Carcass, Napalm Death, Benediction, Necroschizma, Sex trash, Mutilation, Vulcano and More!
I don’t like to talk about politics but what’s your point of view about this Euro crisis and the “fight” with the E.U.  Has the recent happenings affected your artistic affairs?
The whole situation with economic crisis works “negative” for some points like prices on studios, more expensive than else and the prices on merchandise. On the other hand, works “positive” for more creation. if you feel any “press” on your life then some other senses working more. So, that very bad situation gives a “push” for creation on music, on theatre, on poetries, on movies. The world history teaches us on that.

What are your goals as an individual, and what are the common and daily things that you try to introduce into your music?
Our goals, our dreams, our thoughts are the dominion of darkness. My life is dedicated for this purpose. We’re trying to put on our music all these values and beliefs. Black metal is a way of life, is a way of extreme things on your life.
What are the strangest place and the most shocking place you have been?
I make so many travels around the world. I don’t found any strange place and any shocking place. If I “return” back, one shocking place was the ring who I give my first fight like a kick-boxer.
What are the touring plans?
We’re playing some shows here in Greece and in the first days of July we fly to Texas and Mexico. Besides I’m working on many shows and I’ll try to fix the dates. i salute all the blood-brothers around the world who wants Varathron on stage! Total respect to them!!! See you soon!!!!
Are you already working on new material for the next full length?      
Of course we have some new tracks almost ready. I think we’ll start to record our new stuff on the first months of winter 2016-2017. The sound it still remains dark and evil and the new album will be more obscure as we can. Everlasting blasphemy!!!!!
Thanks for your time, Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thanx a lot for your support to us! Embrace our abysmal sound and praise the darkness. Follow the paths of hades, thy kingdom come!!!!

Stefan Necroabyssious




www.facebook.com/VarathronOfficial
varathron.com


No comments:

Post a Comment